Thursday, January 11, 2018

Getting Stuff Done

I haven't actually gotten the stuff done.  I'm just typing it here so that it will then happen today.  Right?  RIGHT.

I keep thinking I'll outline here everything on my mind/to-do list but then that makes me get nervous  all over again about dealing with it all. But I pulled on "real" clothes (to be clear: of the athleisure variety) as soon as I got out of bed so I can feel more productive than I might if  I were still in baggy pajama pants.  Fake it til you make it?

My Wednesday morning small group at church (all moms, ranging from early 30s to 60s) recently started reading Max Lucado's Anxious for Nothing.  I left the first week feeling even more stressed because we only had time to discuss what made us anxious; thankfully, we got more to the "Rejoice in the Lord always" part yesterday!  It's interesting to see how some people just aren't wired to stress about things, whereas others are more like I am. A friend mentioned that as soon as she hears one of her kids cough, she's instantly thinking five steps down the road about all the things later in the week she's going to have to cancel because she's going to have to be home with a sick kid.  Yep, that's me.

Hopefully this electronic space tomorrow will be full of a sense of  accomplishment, and this house empty of mess.  I will tell you, however, that these are the final days of the blog. I started writing it when the B-man was born.  I wrote faithfully 5x per week for all these years.  Can you believe he'll be TEN on Monday?  TEN.  According to the blogger dashboard, this is post #2,785.  That's almost THREE THOUSAND days I've spent fretting about what I'm going to write about the next day, and then that many days of spending time in the morning putting it all together. It's been a(nother) part-time job; one that has brought me so much joy...and not a little anxiety.  It seems fitting to celebrate TEN years and then take some time to figure out what my next creative outlet might be.

Oh look!  I can cross off "announcing the end of the blog"-- I didn't even expect that to get done today!

Hugs to the few of you who have stuck around! 

6 comments:

sheils said...

Guess it's appropriate for me to make the first comment. And while I feel like I'll be losing touch with lots that goes on in your lives, I truly understand that sometimes you really had to search to find a topic. And that you now have lots of other commitments and activities and jobs that definitely must become priorities. Thanks for the heads-up!

Carrie Schlegel said...

This makes me sad but if it makes life a little easier for you it’s worth it! I will miss reading about the Kenton’s as part of my morning ritual! Enjoy the extra time for yourself! 😉😘

Anonymous said...

Oh bummer! I really like reading about your idyllic sounding life in the midst of my stressful day. I totally hear you though. It's so much work. TJ and I just had a discussion about what to do with our blog. Things aren't coming as naturally as we'd hoped, and it definitely feels like "work" that's interfering with our free time. I wanted it to be fun. So now we're going to switch to just reporting out on things we've done instead of trying to be proactive. Maybe that will make it more enjoyable?

Karen I said...

You know how much I've loved reading about your thoughts and joys and worries and successes all these years. And I'm very happy to read that you are setting it aside now in favor of the jillion other activities and joys and tasks that fill your days. Just means we have to work harder at visiting each other--and won't it be a treat to catch up on all of this, in-person with fun bevvies. Sending a hug and a big smile.

Unknown said...

We certainly understand your decision to end the blog, but will really miss reading about your wonderful family every day. Well, at least every weekday. What a great way to keep up with y'all. We love you and will miss hearing from you in this way.

Linda said...

Add me to the list of loyal followers who will miss your blog, but change is a part of life so go for it!